Thursday, 30 September 2010

Idiom of the day: take a rain check

If you take a rain check on something, you politely decline an offer now, suggesting you will accept it later.



(take a rain check + on something)






Can I take a rain check on that drink? I have to work late tonight.
I can't play tennis this afternoon but can I take a rain check?
Thanks for inviting me to dinner but can I take a rain check?
I'll take a rain check on that drink tonight, if that's all right.

You can also say:
I won't play tennis this afternoon but can I get a rain check?

Take a raincheck means to do something later. For example, if someone invites you out to dinner but you are busy that day then you might tell the other person - “Can I take a raincheck?” In other words, Can we reschedule it for another time?






A scene from Jag:
Related Posts with Thumbnails